This article from beautyschooladvisor.com has great advice for hair stylists when starting to work with new clients. Starting the conversation with someone new while remaining focused on working their hair can be very challenging! Having great opener questions that allow you to investigate exactly what the client needs and wants and the perfect way to execute it may be exactly what you need. Here are a few from the article that we loved:
- Tell me what you like about your hair
- Tell me what you DON’T like about you hair
- What products do you use at home (This is a great way to sell product)
- How do you style your hair at home, are they doing it properly? (Here is where you can educate your client)
- Do you wear your hair up frequently?
- Or keep it simple: What brings you in today?
These are smart and straightforward yet easy ways to get your client speaking comfortably about what changes they want to see in their hair. If you allow your client to start speaking freely about their style, they will begin to open up and trust you. Here are other common conversation starters from the article:
- Complimenting their style
- Asking about their week or weekend
- Asking about a recent holiday or trip they just took
- Stay away from religion and politics
- Compliment them again!
Try to read them as a person and target what you think interests them, such as the gym or healthy food, art or concerts. If they’re the silent type, just let them sleep! Allow them to be themselves and your client will love you either way!
If you are interested in becoming a hair stylist and working in the cosmetology field with new clients, explore a career with Supercuts of ME, NH, and MA. To find out more about our job opportunities and salons, call us at (978) 687-3636 or visit us online today!